Monday, May 27, 2019

May 11 - Fort Niobrara and Valentine NWRs

I was up early, but then forgot that I hadn’t changed the “time” on the computer clocks, so didn’t leave the motel until about 8 a.m.  At least I had a chance to drink 2 cups of coffee.  I drove on out to Fort Niobrara National Wildlife Refuge, stopping at the Visitors’ Center, which was closed for the weekend.
Random bison bones behind the office . . .
I enjoyed the drive around the Auto Tour route though the prairie, seeing the bison and elk.


There were quite a few Grasshopper Sparrows on the Refuge.  I remembered that I’d spent a lot of time back in Washington State looking for them for my year list.  I shouldn’t have worried.
Grasshopper Sparrow - Ammodramus savannarum
Fish and Wildlife has developed a trail to the Niobrara River, allowing one to walk down to the water.
Cool little 'waterfall' along the trail
The trail is well-vegetated, relative to the open country of the prairie drive, and there were the common woodland birds here.
This was a very vocal Least Flycatcher
The House Wrens, of course, kept to their cover
The river through here is included as a National Scenic River.  Only ¼ of 1% of the rivers in our country are so designated.  It looks as though this would be a great place to canoe or kayak.


Leaving the Refuge, I headed south on Highway 83, and drove the Auto Tour route though Valentine National Wildlife Refuge.  This drive goes through the prairies of the sand hills and along several lakes.
This is wonderful Sand Hills prairie
With the usual marsh and prairie birds.
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Male Brown-headed Cowbird
Leaving the Sand Hills, I drove on south on Highways 83 and down Highway 2, then took Highway 92 east to Wahoo.  The town isn’t nearly as exciting as the name implies, but I checked into the Wahoo Heritage Inn for $90.81, and went over to Chip’s for supper.  Eight ounce flat iron steak and 2 beers cost $24.

Fort Niobrara NWR eBird Checklist is Here
Fort Niobrara NWR area eBird Checklist is Here
Fort Falls Trail eBird Checklist is Here
Valentine NWR eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment