Saturday, May 25, 2019

May 6 - Not too Ruff a day . . .


The morning dawned 46º and sunny, and I got Marty off to work after making her last mocha latté for a while.  I packed the car to leave for my trek to Ohio and Magee Marsh.  In my usual efficient way, I finally got on the road at the ‘crack of noon’, when it had already warmed up to 72º F.
Waiting for the Ferry is a Way of Life in the Puget Sound

I drove up Highway 101 along Hood Canal to Port Townsend, and missed the 2 p.m. ferry by 7 cars, so went over to Sirens Gastropub for a couple of pints of lager for $11, and waited for the 3:30 Ferry (which cost $14.80).
Sitting at the dock of the bay . . .
While waiting there, there was a bit of commotion on the nearby dock, and we saw that there was a river otter hauled out, and paying little attention to the tourists.

When the ferry embarked, we got great views of the White Volcanoes.
Mt. Rainier is the tallest in Washington State at 14,411 feet
Koma Kulshan (Mt. Baker) is a 10,781-foot active glaciated andesitic stratovolcano
Landing on Whidbey Island, I got out at Crockett Lake to look for a Ruff, that had been reported for the past several days.  I haven't been much of a "chaser", when it comes to birding, but this year, I've set a goal of increasing my "Life List", and this would have been a "Lifer".  In any event, I couldn’t find it after scoping the lake edge pretty completely.  There were 4 White Pelicans at the far end of the lake.
'Way out there
I could find no shorebirds, other than a few sandpipers on the salt water side.  So, I walked back to the car, enjoying the flowers growing on the spit.

Keystone Spit is one of the larger barrier beaches in the central Puget Sound.  The well-sorted gravels host a number of native “prairie” species.
Barestem biscuitroot - Lomatium nudicaule
Cerastium arvense - Field chickweed
Thrift - Armeria maritima ssp. californica

Finally, it was time to leave and make a few miles on my trek toward the East.  At 7:30, I was tired, so checked into the Fairground Inn in Monroe, for $84.48, and was pleasantly surprised to find that this newly-renovated establishment was a pretty good value for a 'budget' stay.  For supper, I ate a burger and quaffed a pint at the next-door JR Phinickey's Pub.  I'd missed seeing the Ruff, and it had apparently flown, as I saw it hadn’t been reported on eBird or the Tweeters chat group that day (or since).  I hope the bird made its way back home to Siberia for a successful nesting!
Distribution map for the Ruff - Philomachus pugnax
Port Townsend-Keystone Ferry eBird checklist is Here
Crockett Lake eBird checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment