Tuesday, May 28, 2019

May 12 - Otter Creek Marsh, Iowa


I was wide awake at 5 a.m., so tried to catch up a day or so on my Blog, which is about 3 weeks behind at this point.  It’s difficult to catch up when I’m on the road, but I always figure that one should live life rather than just sit at a computer . . .  I breakfasted at the Wahoo Inn, which has a meagre fare of cereal and microwave waffles, green bananas, and orange juice.  The coffee was welcome, however.



I left town at 8:30, en route east through Omaha and into the State of Iowa.  I’d read on the eBird site that a species had been found in Iowa that I hadn’t seen before.  Nor, for that matter, had I ever birded in Iowa.  The species in question was the Eurasian Tree Sparrow, a close relative of the common English House Sparrow, and an exotic that is likely not recognized by any of the Bird Record Committees as being ‘established’.  However, I’d like to see it, so, I decided to head toward Otter Creek Marsh Wildlife Management Area.  As it turned out, the Marsh was further north than I’d planned on driving, and I burned up a couple of hours that I’ll probably wish I’d spent driving toward Magee Marsh tomorrow.  But, I arrived at the spot, which is managed as waterfowl habitat and as a fishing area, and walked out on the access road.
Blue-winged Teal drake
I didn’t find any of the sparrows, but enjoyed the walk, and had great views of a couple of Sedge Wrens, which were Life Birds for me back in January when I was down in Florida.  There was an inquisitive mink along the dike.
Humans should be happy these things don't grow to be 50 pounds . . .  I still feel like a prey item.
And, a pair of somewhat aggressive Sandhill Cranes strode toward me, bugling the entire time.
Letting me know I'm intruding on their home
I left the marsh, and got on the highway toward Interstate 80 East, gassed up in Davenport for $2.599/gallon and ended up in Princeton, Illinois for the night at the Super 8.  I got online and checked the restaurants, seeing that the Spoon in downtown had Moroccan stew on the menu.  So I went down there, and enjoyed the meal, along with 2 ales.  I also had quite the conversation with the barmaid, Lisa, who flashed on my kilt, and expressed a longing to visit Scotland.  I encouraged her to plan for it, and go there!  Life is too short to wish you’d done something, then realize you’re too old, sick or tired to do it.
Most of the Yellow Warblers were in the trees, this one foraged in the marsh
New bird species seen at Otter Creek this year included Blackpoll Warbler, American Redstart, Warbling Vireo, and Chimney Swift.
Red-winged Blackbirds bade me farewell
Otter Creek Marsh eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment