Tuesday, May 21, 2019

April 30 - Tumwater Falls


I was awake at 3 a.m. with a sore shoulder and running a bit of a fever; presumably this is a result of the Shingles vaccine that I received yesterday.  A bit of a reaction to the vaccine is a bit of a hassle, but not nearly the agony of contracting shingles.  When I was a child, there was no vaccine for Chicken Pox, and parents used to get their kids over to visit other kids that had the pox, to get the disease out of the way.  I don’t know that the thought of people getting shingles later in life ever entered their minds.  In any event, I recommend getting your shots.
At 8:30, I drove over to Tumwater Automotive to have the oil changed on the CrossTrek, and have them do a safety check for my upcoming journey to Ohio and beyond.  While I was waiting for the job to finish, I walked down Capitol Way to do a bit of birding at Tumwater Falls Park.
Landscape-level development change along Old Highway 99

The Park is owned and maintained by the Olympia Tumwater Foundation, and reflects the history and legacy of the Schmidt family, who used to own Olympia Brewing.  There are 15 acres of park land, with a loop trail along the river that overlooks all three waterfalls.
Upper Falls

The crews are still working on the cleanup of the February transformer spill from the old brewery property.  PCBs are bad, I know.  But removing all of the streamside vegetation and scrubbing the rocks?

In spite of the disruption from the Dept of Ecology, this park is the best and easiest place in town to take visitors to see an American Dipper.  These wonderful sprites are passerines, which technically are birds that have feet adapted for perching.  Think Song Sparrows, wrens, swallows, warblers and the other birds that you see teed-up on a telephone wire, fence post or your garden rose.

The Dipper, though, is usually seen perched on a rock at the edge of flowing water.  Then, amazingly, it will just hop in and ‘fly’ underwater, popping up to the surface to eat the morsel that it pulled off the bottom of the stream, or swimming with its face in the water, searching for the next caddis fly larva.

Since I’m leaving early next week, I walked back to pick up my car and headed home to begin packing.

Tumwater Falls eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment