Monday, May 13, 2019

April 25 - Tundra Bean-Goose, then Home!


I woke at daybreak, but rolled over and dozed until I heard Jody and Harold stirring, then showered and came downstairs for a cup of coffee, a bowl of cereal, and congenial conversation.  Packing, I said my goodbyes and headed north, leaving the half-bottle of Basil Hayden's Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey on the counter, as I believe that Harold will enjoy it.

I gassed up in Bend and headed north to the Crooked River wetlands, just northwest of Prineville.  These are settling ponds for the wastewater treatment plant for the town, finished in 2017.

This 120-acre, multipurpose project expanded the City of Prineville’s wastewater capacity, lowered residential and business development charges, stabilized monthly wastewater rates, and created a new public hiking trail system with numerous educational opportunities, improving riparian and instream conditions in the Crooked River.

The reason I came here was to ‘twitch’ the Tundra Bean-goose that was found by Tom Crabtree on April 19th.
There it is - back by the fence . . .
This is not a “Life Bird” for me, as I’d seen the one that showed up on the Oregon Coast at Nestucca NWR back in the winter of 2014-15.  But, this Asian visitor is rare enough that I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to see one again.
The species is only rarely seen in the lower 48 states, as it nests in Siberia and usually winters in northern Asia and Europe.


There was a trio of birders ahead of me looking for the bird, but had gone past where I scoped it from the dike.  I hollered and got them on the bird, and they were quite happy.
In a field with Canada Geese
I continued walking around the ponds for about 2 ½ hours, and was impressed with the numbers of Tree Swallows taking advantage of the nest boxes erected around the facility.
Tree Swallow male
There were plenty of Chironomids to feed the swallows
The Canada Geese are on their nests; I didn’t see any goslings yet.

Then, I saw a white bird flying, and finally it landed, giving me a view of an leucistic Brewer’s Blackbird.

The bird is not an albino.

Genetically, these are two very important concepts of inheritance, and there is confusion with the terms leucism and albinism.

Leucism (from the Greek, λευκός or leukos white) is a genetic peculiarity due to a gene, recessive in most cases, which gives a white color to the feathers which normally would have a different color.

Albinism (from the Latin albus, white) is a congenital anomaly consisting of a total or partial deficiency of melanin pigmentation in the skin, iris and choroid, and also in the plumage. It is caused by an absence or defect of the enzyme tyrosinase, which is involved in the synthesis of melanin.
It was cool to see the bird, in any case.
This Savannah Sparrow is not leucistic . . .
Finally, I got in the car and headed for home, driving over the shoulder of Mount Hood on Highway 26 and back to Olympia on I-5.  I’d been gone for three weeks, and it was good to sleep in my own bed . . .

Crooked River Wetlands eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment