Friday, March 1, 2019

February 10 - West Texas


I slept in until nearly 8 a.m., got up and breakfasted on the last of the homemade apple pie that my daughter had gifted me.  Then I packed, checked out of the La Posada, and left Laredo.  I gassed up and drove northwest, taking the Mines Road.  This road petered out into a track that is mostly used by oil trucks and traffic working the fracking areas.
West Texas Freeway?
Miles and Miles of Texas . . .

I did stop to scan a couple of ponds and creek crossings.
Travel on this route was about 25 mph, due to rocks and ruts.  Going, slowly, I did see a Bobcat crossing the road.  No photo of the cat, sorry.  A few birds along the way
Black-throated Sparrows are pretty common
Mockingbirds are curious about birders . . .
Harris' Hawk
I got to Eagle Pass and ate ‘lunch’ at Rondee’s Country Fried Chicken, then continued toward Fort Davis.
As I was coming into the town of Marathon, I missed completely the 55 and 45 mph signs, and met a nice Deputy Sheriff.  While waiting for the officer to do his duty, I saw a herd of Javelina crossing the road in front of me.

I checked into the Fort Davis Inn & RV Park, where a single room costs $101 per night with tax.  It was a little dicey washing up, as there was hot water piped to both lines at the sink.  Otherwise, this is a bare-bones motel, but clean and comfortable.

Mines Road eBird Checklists are Here and Here

No comments:

Post a Comment