Friday, March 15, 2019

February 19 - Florida Canyon, Arizona


I woke early this morning and looked out the window to see snow on the flanks of the Santa Rita Mountains.

I retraced my drive from yesterday, then took the road toward Florida (pronounced:  FLO-Ree’-dah) Canyon.  There was about an inch of snow on the road as I drove up toward the parking lot near the Range and Experiment Station buildings.  It was odd to see snow on the cactus.

As I got out of the car, I heard a “Peeww-chip” call at the bridge just down from the parking area.  After a bit, I saw a small flycatcher in one of the oaks above the stream, but facing away from me, so I couldn’t get a good identification.  It was pretty light across its back, and I could see a trace of faint wing-bars.  There had been a Northern Beardless-tyrannulet reported from this spot, and that is probably what I saw, but I will not “tick” a Life Bird with such a poor and uncertain look.  Failing to get another look at the bird after it flew across the road downstream of the bridge, I returned to the trailhead

and started up the canyon, breaking trail in about ½ to 2½ inches of snow.
Frigid Ocotillo
Another group of local birders arrived, and turned out it was Mary Backus and her Wisconsin-based friend Sarah Sabatke.  They were looking for a Varied Thrush that had been reported, but we could not find it.  My goal was to find the Rufous-capped Warblers, and Mary gave me very good instructions to “go up the trail, past the water tank, and look up the slope past the dam”.  I left them looking for the thrush, and walked . . . and walked . . . for about 1-¾ miles up the snowy canyon.

The trail didn’t seem to conform to the directions I was given, but I continued up and did see my “Life” Black-chinned Sparrows all along the path
These guys look a lot like Juncos . . .
as well as some other “snow birds”
Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Curve-billed Thrasher leaves the prickly pear
I found a small stock tank, but found no sign of a dam.
 . . . Hasn't been used in a Long time
Continuing up the hillside for a while, it was apparent that I was going in the wrong direction, but there was a great view of the Santa Cruz Valley.

I came back down the trail, and met Mary and her friends, who still hadn’t found the Varied Thrush, but had just returned from seeing the Warblers (!), and directed me to the “birders’ trail” that diverged from the main trail to the west, main canyon.  I hadn’t seen that track, as it was covered with snow when began.  Sure enough, there was a large green water tank with graffiti,

and just above the tank, a rock dam.

I walked about 40 yards above the dam, and looked up-slope into the prickly-pear.  There were two, maybe three, of the Rufous-capped Warblers vocalizing and actively feeding.  They came past me 10 meters away, giving me great looks.
Rufous-capped Warbler
 

I lingered for a while, but did not see the Black-capped Gnatcatchers that the other birders saw only a short time before.  These would have been “Lifers” for me, but will have to await another trip to the Southwest.
There is still lots of snow at the higher elevation this afternoon
Since I was close, I went back up to Madera Canyon to see if the Trogon was being seen at the picnic area Pyracantha bush, but no one I talked to had seen it.  The Hermit Warblers were still there, chowing-down on the frosted red berries.
Hermit Thrush in the Pyracantha . . .
Eating one berry after the other . . .
I did get good views of the Painted Redstart.
Why don't they call these "Whitestarts"?
Driving up to the Santa Rita Lodge, I watched at the feeders for about a half-hour.
Painted Redstarts apparently like peanut butter . . .
Lots of Pine Siskins at the sunflower feeders
The Arizona Woodpecker likes his peanut butter, too
I finally left the Canyon, with the cattle on the Santa Rita Range bidding me farewell.

I drove north to Phoenix, and called Marty’s cousin Claire, who said she’d put me up for the night, but had a dog event that’d keep her out until late.  So, when I arrived in Phoenix, I went over to the Evelyn Hallman Park and walked around the lake as the sun set.

Florida Canyon trail uphill eBird Checklist is Here
Florida Canyon trail downhill eBird Checklist is Here
Florida Canyon birders’ trail eBird Checklist is Here
Madera Canyon picnic area eBird Checklist is Here
Santa Rita Lodge eBird Checklist is Here
Evelyn Hallman Park eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment