Saturday, March 23, 2019

March 4 - McLane School Trail


It was a sunny late morning that I decided to walk a nearby community trail that I’d never taken, even though it’s only three miles from my house!  Even though I’m not participating in the cool “2019 5MR Challenge”, I want to give Many Thanks to Jen Sanford for touting the Five-Mile-Radius concept for birders.  It’s certainly made me go birding in some local spots that I’ve been ignoring for the past 30 years . . .

One of these places is the “McLane School Trail”, which has since been christened the “Ralph Munro Trail”

after local former Secretary of State and all-‘round good guy Ralph Munro.

The winter has been tough on the local habitat this year, what with windstorms and heavy snows resulting in a bit of blowdown.  This tree was cleared off the trail, and I counted about 50 growth rings.  That would indicate that the tree began growing about 1969 – the year that the Moon Landing occurred!

The sword ferns were matted down from the snows as well, but that just provided perches for the Pacific Wrens.

The McLane trails committee have been active in developing habitat and educational projects along the path, and in honoring those community members who have been instrumental in creating this little gem in west Olympia.
Bob Barnes Bog
Barb Bergholz Bayou
This is a fun path for local birding, and I am really grateful to the members of the Forest and Trails Committee who put in the work to make this place a public resource!!
Singing the praises of those who did all the work . . .
The birds thank you as well!
Pacific Wren
Hutton's Vireo
McLane School Trail a.m. eBird Checklist is Here
McLane School Trail p.m. eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment