Thursday, March 21, 2019

February 25 - Oregon Coast - then Home!

There will be few photos here today, as it was a bit of a grueling drive to begin with . . . 
I woke up to a cold grey morning, with spitting snow.  The breakfast at the Rodeway Inn here in Medford is equal to that in any Best Western I’ve stayed at, where a night’s stay would cost half-again more.  For my money, I’ll stay here whenever I’m passing through Medford!

It was snowing lightly but steadily as I began my drive north on I-5, and the snow was beginning to fall a bit more heavily.  Then I heard on Jefferson Public Radio that the Interstate was closed at Roseburg!  I was just coming up on the Old Highway 99 exit, so pulled off, figuring that I could drive through Dillard and over the Camas Mountain Summit on Oregon Hwy 42 to Coos Bay and avoid the closed road.
When I pulled off the freeway, there was a two-wheel drive pickup spun-out across the exit ramp underpass.  There were several cars attempting to get on the freeway southbound, and the northbound folks were attempting to get off the Interstate.  So, some of us drivers got out to straighten the driver out and get her aligned to get on the freeway and escape to the south.  I followed a group of cars and pickups past a dozen cars that were in the ditch, and around a half-dozen trees that had fallen into the road, as far as Dillard, where most of the folks pulled off.
I continued on to Highway 42, blazing the route through about 4-to-6 inches of snow on the road.  As I drove, I listened to the radio, discovering that the Interstate was closed at Roseburg - for 115 miles!!  As I continued up the highway, I passed another half-dozen or more cars in the ditch, and another dozen trees that had come down into the road.  It was only me and a 4x4 pickup following me that pushed on over the elevation 1,448 feet Summit.  The drive down the Coquille River drainage was uneventful, except for two or three places where there had been mudslides into the road.  I had to wait once for the road to be cleared.  Finally, the snow was gone by the time I got to Myrtle Point, although the valley was quite flooded.
I made it to Coos Bay, gassed up, and got a late lunch at the Safeway Deli.  Then, I drove north on Highway 101 enjoying the sunshine and the warm weather.
I stopped south of Newport, at Ona Beach State Park, where I’d read that a Magnolia Warbler had been seen last month.  I didn't find the warbler, but the 'usual suspects' were there.
"Sooty" Fox Sparrow
There had been a bit of blowdown from the winter storms, but the trail to the beach was open.  The creek was high, and there was standing water in parts of the park.

I started back to the parking lot, then heard a familiar ‘chip’ note from the dune grass to the north, and found a Black Phoebe actively foraging.
Is that a bird on the stump?
The eBird program flagged this species as ‘rare’ for the site, but I took a few poor, distant photos to go with my description on the checklist.
Yep!  That's a Black Phoebe . . .

I continued north on the Coast Highway to Lincoln City, listening to the radio to judge what the road conditions were, and decided to drive back on Oregon Highway 18 to Interstate 5, and north through Portland into Washington State.  I stopped at Woodland for ‘supper’ at the Burgerville, which has pretty good locally-sourced burgers with Tillamook Cheese, and complemented the meal with truffle shoestring fries.  Then, it was a straight shot home, where I arrived at 8:30 p.m.  It was good to be in my own bed after three weeks!
Ona Beach State Park eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment