Wednesday, March 6, 2019

February 11 - Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute

I woke up at 9:30, after 8 ½ hours of sleep, to a rainy 48° day.  It was pouring rain, so I worked on my Peregrination blog for much of the morning.  The rain had pretty well abated by noon, so I drove into the town of Alpine, 24 miles from Fort Davis, to take care of some errands and car maintenance issues.
View from the Chihuahuan Desert Institute entrance road
On the way back to Fort Davis, I stopped at the Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute visitors’ center and spent an hour at their bird watching blind.  Some of the birds are familiar to me from the Pacific Northwest.
Female House Finch
Oregon Junco male
And many of them are novel and exciting . . .
Black-crested Titmouse
The "Pink-sided" Dark-eyed Junco
Curve-billed Thrasher at the feeder
Cactus Wren with a piercing stare
Black-throated Sparrow


I also stopped at the Fort Davis National Historical Site, where the Natl. Park Service staff are bracing for another of Trump’s Government Shutdowns.  I only saw a few birds here this afternoon, but was really interested in the History and construction.  They have a nice museum, and are restoring many of the 1880s-era adobe structures.  The buildings that have been most restored are furnished with contemporary furniture, books and artifacts.
Stock Photo
Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute eBird Checklist is Here
Fort Davis National Historical Site eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment