Sunday, June 23, 2019

May 30 - Attwater Prairie Chicken NWR


I woke at 6 a.m. to a 75º, calm, overcast day.  I banged out a Blog post, then was going to drive out to the nearby Attwater Prairie Chicken NWR, but when I was checking out, the manager told me that she enjoyed walking the trails from the City Park to the lake.

So, I spent over an hour at the Eagle Lake Municipal Park.  There were relatively few birds, as I didn’t get out there until after 9 a.m., when the day had already warmed up.
Inca Dove
The boardwalk leads out to a view of the lake.
There were still birds out,
Great Egret
As well as quite a few Red-eared Sliders basking in the sun.

The tent caterpillars are working on defoliating the trees all across this part of the State.

It was a nice walk.
One should always be cautious while walking in this State . . .
Back at the Sportsman's Inn motel, which was a pretty nice place for the price, I packed and checked out.
Someone must have backed up . . .
Arriving at the Wildlife Refuge, I stopped at the headquarters and visitors’ center and talked with the public information officer and the Refuge Manager for a bit about how the Prairie Chickens were doing - better than last year, up over 100 individuals.

I walked the Sycamore and Horseshoe Lake trails in the 90º sun, enjoying the restored prairie and the abundant wildflowers.  And those critters associated with them.
Spicebush Swallowtail
Along the creek, I was startled by a rattling sound, and jumped ‘way high.  Then, I looked down and saw that I had been frightened, not by a rattlesnake, but by the rattling of the wings of a newly-emerged cicada!
Scare Me ! ! !
The trail along the lake was pretty quiet in the heat, but a whitetail doe didn’t seem to mind.

On the ‘way out of the Refuge, I took a spin around the auto tour route.  The Fish & Wildlife Service conducts prescribed burning, but cattle grazing is also an important tool to help manage and maintain the prairie vegetation here.
The cattle down here have quite a bit of Brahman blood in them . . .
Not closed to cute li'l calves . . .
Driving into Houston, the traffic wasn’t too bad, yet.  I made it to the area near the Hobby Airport, and stopped to have the oil changed in the CrossTrek.  I found a Jiffy Lube at Telephone and Bellfort, where it cost me nearly $100 for the oil, some filters, etc.  As I got out of the car, I was buzzed by a small flock of Monk Parakeets.  These are non-natives, but have established themselves across the southern part of the country from escaped & released cage birds.

I stopped at the Kroger’s for some groceries from the list that Marty had texted me.  I had just put the food away into the cooler when I got the text that her plane had landed.  I was only about 10 minutes away, and found that navigating the Hobby Airport loop was pretty easy.  She was waiting, and hopped in after her flight from Seattle via Southwest Airlines, as she is giving a talk at the Coastal Prairie Partnership's Prairie Restoration conference tomorrow.  We took Interstate 45 down to near the Space Center, where Marty had made reservations at the Candlewood Suites.  Our daughter ‘Becca joined us, and we went out to supper at Tommy’s seafood restaurant, which was just across the parking lot.  Their food was really good, and quite the bargain - the three of us had supper and drinks for only $48.

Eagle Lake Park eBird Checklist is Here
Attwater Prairie Chicken NWR entrance road eBird Checklist is Here
Attwater Prairie Chicken NWR  Sycamore Trail eBird Checklist is Here
Attwater Prairie Chicken NWR Horseshoe Lake eBird Checklist is Here
Houston Texas eBird Checklist is Here



No comments:

Post a Comment