Wednesday, June 12, 2019

May 19 - Leaving Maumee State Park & Magee Marsh

We woke to a cloudy and humid morning that was threatening sprinkles.  Folks packed up and loaded into our respective vehicles on our last group day in Ohio.  We walked around the east end of the cabins area, to look for a Connecticut Warbler that had been reported, but didn’t see it.
The Black-throated Green Warblers were around, though . . .
There were a number of Red-shouldered Hawks migrating north with the Turkey Vultures, which seemed fairly exciting for me, as I see so few in Washington State.

The Philadelphia crew took their leave and drove east.  I took a bit more time, re-packing the CrossTrek, and joined Shep, Laurel, Paula and Lee at the State Park's Nature Center to walk the boardwalk trail.
We enjoyed seeing that a Raccoon and her brood had taken over a Wood Duck nest box.  Paula and Laurel got photos of the mother dragging a kit out of the box and swimming away from the boardwalk with the mewing youngster held firmly by the scruff of its neck.  The mamma ‘coon was back in the box by the time I came by.
More kits to go, so she was taking a break . . .

Leaving the State Park, I joined the Washingtonians at the Pearson Metropark back toward the town of Oregon off Highway 2, and we walked the park and watched their feeders area until it was time for them to head toward the airport.
Paula, Shep, Laurel, and Lee
I said my goodbyes and drove back toward the Ottawa NWR fields to make a search for the Henslow’s Sparrow, but it was beginning to rain moderately hard and the wind had picked up so much that I decided just to head south.  I’ll look for the sparrow on down the road.
"Just" a Song Sparrow, but they look 'way different to our Pacific Northwest Song Sparrows
I did stop at the Sandusky County's Ringneck Ridge Wildlife Area near Gibsonburg and gave another unsuccessful effort to find the Henslow’s Sparrows, then headed south toward Columbus and checked out the Glacier Ridge Metropark, and will try in the fields there tomorrow morning.
Cool Dragonfly - I'll look this one up when I get a chance
I checked into the Red Roof Inn in Dublin, Ohio for $81 plus tax.  I would judge this as "a place to sleep" . . .
Baltimore Orioles are currently (12 June) at the bottom of the AL East
Maumee Bay State Park boardwalk eBird Checklist is Here
Pearson Metropark eBird Checklist is Here
Ringneck Ridge Wildlife Area eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment