Friday, June 14, 2019

May 21 - Shallenberger Nature Preserve - and Genealogy


This is Marty & my 31st Wedding Anniversary, and I’m only about 2,500 miles from her and home.  Such are the travails of doing a “Peregrination”.

This morning, I drove on out to the Shallenberger Nature Preserve about 5 miles south of Lancaster, and walked the trails to do a bit of birding.  I'd stopped here back in the year 2000 when we were doing a family "genealogy" vacation, but wanted to walk the trail system.  The trail is a figure 8, with one section up some steps that overlooks the surrounding area.  I got turned around and hiked the same loop twice, so if you visit you need to pay attention which direction you go at the junctions at the middle of the figure 8.
As usual, I am constantly reminded of how poor my birding-by-ear skills are, when I’m out of my ‘home habitat’ on the West Coast, and many of the calls, chips and chirps went unidentified.
I did recognize this "chipper" . . . the Eastern Chipmunk

On the other hand, I can enjoy the flowers of a beautiful spring morning in central Ohio.
I don't have a Flora for Ohio, so will look these up later . . .

At 11 a.m., I left the Preserve to return to town, where I availed myself of Lancaster's Fairfield County Genealogical Library for much of the afternoon - getting materials for my Anderson and Macklin/Mechling/Mechlin ancestors.
If I've violated some copyright thingy . . . oops.
I am on a quest to find the origins of my Great-Great-Great Grandfather Thomas Anderson, who is recorded as having come to Fairfield County from “Virginia”.  Virginia in 1810 was a much larger place than nowadays, so where to begin?  The Andersons in Virginia apparently tended to all name their male children Samuel, Thomas, William, Levi, and James.  If anyone has information on Thomas Anderson, born October 15, 1787 in Virginia, and married Mary Magdalene Macklin in Ohio in 1810, I’d greatly appreciate hearing from them.

I left the folks at the Library a nice donation for all their help, and left town, heading south, and ending up in Oxford, Ohio at the  Butler Inn, which is bare bones, clean, and inexpensive. 

Shallenberger Nature Preserve eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment