Saturday, June 29, 2019

June 9 - Hatteras - Pea Island


I slept in this morning, then went out to the beach, parking across from the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum.  The tip of the island here is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.  Our nation’s first national seashore was established in 1937 to preserve significant parts of unspoiled barrier islands along North Carolina’s stretch of the Atlantic Coast.

The Park Service has fenced off portions of the beach here to provide protection for nesting seabirds and turtles.

But, it’s obvious that vehicle traffic still has an impact.

There were a few squalls offshore, but I thought that I’d make it out and back before the rain began, so I walked out to the tip of the peninsula at Hatteras Inlet.  As I started to return along the “Pole Road”, it was obvious that my estimate of how long it would take before the weather blew in was incorrect, and it began to pour.  Fortunately, a fisherman and his son gave me a ride back to my car.

Returning from my walk, I stopped at Harbor House Seafood at 10 a.m. to pick up a few meal’s worth of fish for suppers back in Southern Pines.  Owner Vicki still had the fresh scallops and mahi-mahi, but was out of the grouper.  However, while I talked to her, her crew filleted a grouper, so I ended up with 1.8 lbs of snowy grouper (Epinephelus niveatus) for $25.99/lb, 1.92 of “dolphin fish” for $23.99/lb, and 2 lbs of scallops at $23.  Surprisingly, North Carolina charges sales tax on fresh food!!  There was $10.76 tax on the $138.84 worth of fish.  I hadn’t asked about the prices, so was somewhat surprised, but what the heck?  We will end up with 3 gourmet meals at “Market Rate”.

I stopped at Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge to walk the dike around the ‘ponds’, and came back along the beach, hoping to find a Piping Plover, but was unsuccessful doing so.

I did enjoy seeing a brood of Black Ducks in the pond, as well as good views of Oystercatchers and there was a summering Ruddy Duck.

The colony of Least Terns along the mile or so of beach appeared to be successful, and there were many nests with chicks.

Willets and Sanderlings appear to be the common ‘sandpipers’ here.
Willet
The drive back to Southern Pines was uneventful, unless you count my stop at a Bojangles', a southern franchise whose chicken tastes a bit better than KFC or Popeye’s.  I dragged in at Sister-In-Law Ellen’s and we enjoyed a glass of wine on the deck as the sun set.

Cape Hatteras Natl. Seashore eBird Checklist is Here
Pea Island NWR North Pond eBird Checklist is Here
Pea Island NWR beach eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment