Thursday, June 13, 2019

May 20 - Henslow's Sparrow at last - and some Dead Relatives


I was wide awake at 4:30 a.m., when the birds began to sing their dawn chorus, and worked on the Blog - catching up to April 27th.  At 7:30, I packed up and headed back over to the Glacier Ridge Metro Park, off Brock Road, to walk the Marsh Hawk and Red Oak trails.
The Parks folks have erected  bird nest boxes
There was a west breeze on this partly to mostly cloudy, 62° F morning.  I started out on the first trail that went through open, tall fields and past the “Wind and Solar Learning Center”.
A Sea of Grasses . . .
About half-way around the loop, I heard the distinct song of the Henslow’s Sparrow.  The breeze was blowing a little, so the birds were not as willing to “tee-up” on perches.  But, finally, a bird jumped up on an old milkweed stem and sang.
Whoop!  Henslow’s Sparrow!  For my ABA “Life Bird” No. 607.
Crappy digiscoped photo of my Lifer Henslow's Sparrow
I watched and listened to the two birds for about 15 minutes.
Oh, the Joy!
Around the open grassland trail loop, i saw quite a few Bobolinks, some of which were “larking” - sallying up into the air - and giving their territorial songs while in flight.

A "larking" Bobolink - or is it a Bobbing Lark?

I got back to the parking area and walked into the woods along the Red Oak trail, with many oaks, hickory trees, and forest plants.
Oak-Hickory Woods
This was a perfectly enjoyable morning - especially so in that I found a new “Lifer”.
Cowbirds weren't Life Birds, but they were certainly abundant here
Back in the car, I headed south toward the town of Lancaster, Ohio, where my Anderson relatives homesteaded some 210 years ago.  I drove up to the Pleasant Hill White Church, now a United Methodist congregation, to visit my dead relatives.

Out in the Cemetery was an obelisk for Thomas Anderson, Jr., who was the son of Mary Magdalene Macklin (the Pennsylvania Dutch girl who married my Great-Great-Great-Grandfather) and Thomas Anderson.

A mockingbird perched on top to cheer his spirit.

I wandered amongst the gravestones for a while, finding quite a few monuments to those long deceased, and marveling that I was descended from these sturdy pioneers.
The top of G-G-G-Grandpa Thomas Anderson's headstone is broken off . . .
Mary Magdalene Macklin was known as "Molly" or "Maria"; hard to follow the Genealogy
I also discovered a few stones that give speculation to who and how they came to be buried in this place.

Not far down the road is the old Thomas Anderson house, where a shirt-tail relative still lives.

The family lore of the “Oregon Andersons” is that the 1855 house erected by James Mechling Anderson, my Great-Great-Grandfather, was built according to the floor plans for this Ohio house that were sent West.

The family barn in Oregon blew down during the Columbus Day Storm in 1962, so I don't know whether it looked like the Ohio barn . . .
It is always well to stop and visit those who had gone before, so I let them know how those of us Andersons were doing “Back West”, and took a room in town at the Baymont.

Glacier Ridge Metro Park eBird Checklist is Here
Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment