Monday, April 1, 2019

March 15 - Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge


A little before 10 a.m., I left for Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge.  My target species today was nothing too exciting, and certainly not a Life Bird counting toward my PeregrinationYear.  I realized last weekend that I hadn’t seen a Tundra Swan all winter.  I’d birded in the Fraser River, Skagit, and Chehalis valleys without taking the time to stop and identify a “Whistling” swan from the flocks of the Trumpeters.  I guess that’s part of why I’m not that good a birder . . .

In any event, it was just before noon when I finally arrived.  The refuge’s auto tour route through the River S Unit is closed weekdays this Spring, as they are rebuilding the bridge across the Lake River and the railroad tracks.

So, I went to the Carty Unit to walk the trails.  The start of the trail from the parking area goes over the Union Pacific and Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad tracks
The trains come by about every 20-30 minutes
across a pedestrian bridge.  Safety, Safety, Safety . . .

A pair of Bald Eagles came flying in to land in their nest tree east of the tracks.

As I approached the Cathlapotle Plankhouse,
The Lewis and Clark Expedition counted fourteen houses at Cathlapotle.
I scoped the lake to the southwest and saw several dozen swans, but the light and distance made it impossible to tell whether they were Tundra or Trumpeter swans.  So, I walked down the trail toward the water to attempt a closer view, only to find the trail closed.  The fancy ‘gate’ covers the “Closed Area” sign behind it, but there were no tracks beyond the gate indicating that people were flouting the law.

I did get identifying views of Tundra Swans, but couldn’t achieve a decent photo.  The flock of Ring-necked Ducks were much more photogenic.

I continued out the trail, enjoying the warm, sunny day, as well as views of the flora and fauna.
I believe this is the Valley Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis fitchi) sunning itself on the path
Few flowers were blooming this early in the season, but the western hazelnut was flashing its tiny magenta female flowers alongside the male pollen catkins.
Western Hazelnut Corylus cornuta
The Poison Oak was not yet leafed-out, but soon will be
It was nice to pick up a new bird species for the year, even if I didn't get a photo.  I did get the lens on a few, though.
The Golden-crowned Sparrows will be migrating north soon

Varied Thrushes like to remain hidden . . .

 . . . but their American Robin cousins are pretty brazen

As are the "California" Scrub Jays


Ridgefield NWR eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment