Friday, April 26, 2019

April 6 - Echo Canyon - Fort Bridger - Pawnee Grasslands

After checking out from the motel this morning, I drove up into Echo Canyon, where the Mormon Militia held off the US Army for the winter of 1857-58 in their attempt to keep President Buchanan from replacing Brigham Young as Territorial Governor with his appointee - Alfred Cumming.  The narrow canyon was a great place for a handful of Mormons to thwart 2,500 American soldiers.

This Mormon Rebellion between the LDS Theocracy and the United States is an amazing, and generally untaught, period of US history, and rarely do the histories portray the militias as Traitors against the U.S.A.  There were few birds here, but the ground squirrels were busy.
Uinta Ground Squirrel - Urocitellus armatus
Continuing east, I stopped at the Fort Bridger State Historic Site to take in the museum and see the fort.

I am not absolutely certain that my Savage and Anderson ancestors passed through here in 1846 and 1847, but many of the wagon trains did, so that they could re-provision.
Gotta wonder whether this is what Great-Great-Grandma saw . . .

I do know that my Great-Great-Grandmother Lucy Savage walked across the continent with her Uncle Towner Savage in 1846, and that my Great-Great-Grandfather James Mechlin Anderson rode his Morgan horse across the Oregon Trail in 1847.  My grandparents published an article on James’ journey in the Oregon Historical Register in 1959.  I transcribed the original handwritten document and it is online Here.
Groshon Creek flows through the Park
The museum and grounds are pretty amazing, having considerable primary documents from and about the famous Mountain Man Jim Bridger, as well as displays documenting travel through this country from the local tribes, through the wagon trains, to the Lincoln Highway.
The Black-and-Orange Cabins
I was very impressed with the museum, and especially with the helpfulness of Linley Mayer, manager of the park, and highly recommend a stop at this historical gem!
Linley - a most professional and friendly Park Manager!  Give her a Raise!
As far as birding, the cool species I saw here included a flock of Red Crossbills having a go at the blue spruce cones.
The crossbills were flagged as unusual by eBird
I continued west and got off the freeway after looking ahead to see the grill of a truck pointing in my direction!!
You never want to see this when you're zoning out on a long drive . . .
Fortunately, it was being towed, and not coming toward me.


As I took a side drive into the Pawnee National Grassland.

I was hoping but not succeeding to find longspurs and pipits.  There were other birds to see, however.
I will never tire of hearing the Western Meadowlark sing!
As well as the prairie Pronghorns.

The fossil fuel industry is pretty obvious in the Rocky Mountain states.
Little oil pump on the prairie . . .
The sun was setting as I left the grasslands.
Energy - not powered by the sunset
I made it as far as Sterling, Colorado and pulled into the Ramada by Wyndham, east of the Correctional facility, to spend the night.  I was amused by the sign on the motel door, which made me wonder what I would do if I were a teetotaler?
Well, if you insist . . .
Echo Canyon eBird Checklist is Here
Fort Bridger State Museum eBird Checklist is Here
Pawnee Grasslands eBird Checklist is Here
Pawnee Buttes eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment