Tuesday, April 23, 2019

April 5 - Backwards on the Oregon and Mormon trails . . .

It was partly cloudy and 42º F when I got up this morning (late) at 7:15 a.m.  I went over to the café to eat a hamburger steak breakfast, with coffee and juice, it came to $12.35. On the way out of town, I stopped at a couple of nearby ponds.  First, I went to North Powder Pond, which is a small 7 ½ acre water, stocked in the Spring by Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife with rainbow trout, and also has bluegills.  There was a young man fishing there when I arrived, but he left shortly after.  I walked and drove around the pond, and saw mostly waterfowl and magpies, with robins and starlings in the adjacent cattle pasture.
These are not cowbirds . . .
It took a long time for this Tundra Swan to raise its head so I could ID it . . .
A pair of Long-billed Curlews landed in the pasture.
Long-billed Curlew Numenius americanus
I did find where someone had apparently shot and left a Great Blue Heron the previous day.  There is a special place in Hell for those who just kill something for the thrill of killing.  Karma is a Bitch.
Who would kill a heron?  And why?  #Lock Him Up
I then drove up River Lane to a small pond near the Wilson Cattle Ranch, which also had mostly waterfowl, including 3 Trumpeter Swans and nesting Canada Geese.

Baling twine makes a colorful decoration to her home . . .

Back on the Interstate, I continued east into Idaho, and thought I’d swing past the Birds of Prey Area to see what might be there - and to avoid Boise traffic.  I stopped by the Point Fire memorial, where two young firefighters lost their lives in 1995.  Their fire engine’s motor stalled only a few hundred feet from the paved road and safety, when a grass and brush fire blew up and overtook them.  RIP Bill Buttram and Josh Oliver.
I had been to Initial Point last year when passing through this part of the State, so thought I’d stop again.

A few people were riding quads, but there was little bird activity other than Ravens which appeared to be hunting Belding’s Ground Squirrels.
Momma and babies of Belding's Ground Squirrel - Urocitellus beldingi
They’d land next to a squirrel burrow and wait.  I saw at least one pair feeding on a ‘baby’ squirrel.
Its' dangerous to be out on your own
I continued back to the Interstate, and pretty much drove straight through to Brigham City, where I stayed at the HoJo’s.  This establishment is somewhat older and a bit worn, although clean and relatively inexpensive.  The parking lot is uneven, and would be difficult to walk (or drive) on if it was icy. The only drawback was that I had a room a bit distant from the office, and the WiFi would not connect.  The most amazing thing was the hordes of Chironomids coming to the lights; and inside the room when the door was opened!
A hatch is on, and me without a fly rod!
I drove on over to the Maddox Ranch House for supper.  Touted as the Best Food in Northern Utah, they may be correct.  This is an old-school western restaurant, and likely has had the same menu for 40 years, but their fried chicken was done just right, and the servers were hustling.  If I’d been worried that it would be canned vegetables accompanying the meal, I was wrong; they used fresh carrots and string beans.  No beer here (it is Utah), but they do have their old-fashioned sodas.

North Powder Pond eBird Checklist is Here
River Lane Pond eBird Checklist is Here
Initial Point eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment