Wednesday, February 27, 2019

February 5 - T is for Texas - B is for Birding


I woke up a little after 8 to a foggy 68° day, in Liberty, Texas!  I went online & registered for the Laredo Birding Festival, getting the last spot on a couple of the field trips, because I was registering so late.  I had flown to Houston, visited my daughter, and ‘bought back’ her 2000 Subaru Outback, now that she’s bought herself an F-150 – a girl’s gotta have a ‘truck”.  I left the motel and headed down the road to the south, intending to drive the Subaru back to the Pacific Northwest.

I stopped at the Visitors’ Center for the Anahuac National Wildlife Refuges - now called the “Texas Chenier Plain NWR Complex Headquarters”.
The center was closed today, but the trails were open, and I walked from the Loblolly Pine forest down to the bald cypress forest at the edge of the lake.
Bald Cypress - Taxodium distichum
This high ground above Turtle Bayou

has obviously been used for centuries, as the shell middens all along the trail attest
Native Americans had clam feeds here for many generations . . .
It had been a while since I’d enjoyed the views of cypress and marveled at the ‘knees’.  Although there are a lot of theories for why these swamp cypress have knees, no one really knows.
Cypress 'knees' above the swamp water
The Cajuns over in Louisiana called the common reed “Roseau Cane” when I worked there back in 1980
Roseau Cane - Phragmites australis
The swamp was full of red-eared sliders
Trachemys scripta
I spent a little time at the photo blind.

The blind was clean enough, but the only feeder present was empty and the water structure just had rain water in it.
It seemed to be a slow morning for birds, but I did see 16 species there, even though it was so foggy that you couldn’t see out into the lake.  A handsome Hermit Thrush kept mostly out of sight in the brush, and a few Orange-crowned Warblers.  It amuses me that I’ve seen the Orange-crowned in Texas before I found one in January in western Washington!

There is a lot of Chinese Privet in this part of the country, but I’ve never seen any local birds or animals feeding on the berries
Chinese privet berries - Ligustrum sinense
Other wildlife along the trail included a bullfrog

Jeremiah was a bullfrog . . .
and an anole
Green Anole - Anolis carolinensis
The piles of mud along the trails, and in lawns all over the coastal plain, are the “chimneys” of crawfish.  The crawfish down here burrow in the moist ground, and come out at dark to feed or travel.
I continued on out to the Anahuac NWR’s Shoveler Pond wildlife drive, off the Whites Ranch Road.  The Visitors’ Center was closed here as well, but the restrooms were open for the public.
I drove the loop, seeing 40 species, including 9 species that were new for the year.  One was the Neotropic Cormorant, which is a little slighter build than the Double-crested Corms that I’m used to seeing, and takes me a while to separate.
The impoundment is pretty full, with ‘islands’ of Roseau cane.


Besides the birds, one has to keep an eye out for alligators on this coast.
Big ones have a toothy grin, but the little ones are ‘cute’,
although even the little ones can be dangerous – if you’re a gallinule!
I walked out on the short boardwalk, and found a large flock of whistling-ducks.
The Black-bellied Whistling-duck has a gray face, a bright pink bill, and – of all things – a black belly.
The Fulvous Whistling-duck has a gray bill, cinnamon face, breast and belly, with white streaks on its flanks.  The eBird program flagged the 54 Fulvous that were mixed in with the Black-bellys as a “high count”.
Fulvous Whistling-ducks on the left, a Black-bellied on the right
Also on the boardwalk was an American Pipit, wagging its tail incessantly.

On the drive out, there was a White-tailed Kite.  The books used to call these “Black-shouldered” Kites, which I always thought was a more apt name.
Kite in the Fog
I am on my way toward Laredo for the Bird Festival there, so beat feet to gain a few miles before the day is over.  I caught the Bolivar-Galveston Ferry (free) just before dark.
The fog was pretty thick on the crossing, so all of the birds seen were close to the boat.
Four of us in in a row were “randomly selected” from the ferry line for inspection by “Security” staff.  Looking in my glove box? And under my car’s hood?  Really?  I find it so damned demeaning to be searched or have my vehicle searched in the guise of “Homeland Insecurity”.  Back west, we don’t have to put up with this un-American intrusion on our Washington State Ferry system, but apparently the Texans are more afraid of their own citizens . . .  end of rant.
I drove on until I made it to Lake Jackson – Clute, and checked into the La Quinta Inn.

Texas Chenier Plain NWR eBird Checklist is Here
Anahuac NWR eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment