Friday, October 22, 2021

November 24, 2019 - Kern River Blues

I slept in until 6 a.m. this morning, waking to a calm, 32º morning with clear skies.  Checking out of the motel, I headed west at 7:30, with the hopes of finding a Mountain Plover near Alpaugh, where several had been reported on eBird.  I’m nearing home, and after having been on the road for over three weeks, am looking forward to sleeping in my own bed.

En route, I drove past Lake Isabella, a reservoir of the Kern River that was created by the Army Corps of Engineers in 1953.  The poor river’s water historically barely made it to the ocean, and now, barely makes it to the Valley floor, being completely diverted for municipal and agricultural uses.  I stopped at the U.S. Forest Service Tillie Creek campground for a break in driving and to do a little bit of birding.

The campground comprises 8 sites nestled among oaks and Digger Pine trees, and there were a few California bird species that I wanted to pick up for my “Peregrination” year while I’m in the vicinity.

The Oak Titmouse acts much like a chickadee, but has a jaunty crest, and tends to be very vocal.  California bird expert Dave Shuford calls them the “voice and soul of the oaks.”  I love seeing these birds!  As they are one of the species that just barely get into southern Oregon, I didn’t have a chance to grow up with them in the oaks of the Willamette Valley.

The Nuttall’s Woodpecker is another bird of the California oaks that I enjoy seeing.  This species is fairly similar to the Ladder-backed Woodpeckers that I’ve seen for the past 2 weeks across the Southwest, but is a little more “crisp” in appearance.  And, like the Titmouse, he was a new species for my birding “Year” list.

I picked up a large, hefty cone from one of the Digger pines (Pinus sabiniana) and took it home for a decoration on the fireplace mantle or bookshelf.

Note from 2021:  After the cone dried, I found a number of seeds had fallen out.  So, I took them outside and planted them in pots, getting a half-dozen seedlings.  Our wet Pacific Northwest back yard is likely not their preferred habitat, so I’ll need to find a home for them where their feet can dry out over the winters.

Leaving the campground, I headed west on Highway 155, where I was pleasantly slowed by a drove of beef cattle.  I was content to trail behind the beasts until they turned off into their next pasture, but one of the youngsters rode up, said “follow me” and pushed her way through the herd with me following in the Subaru.  Very professional!

Making it into the San Joaquin Valley and the farm fields around the Tulare County community of Alpaugh, I searched through the flocks of sparrows, pipits, and Horned Larks for a Mountain Plover.  But, failing in that, I headed into Coalinga and had a tri-tip sandwich at the Harris Ranch for lunch, then drove pretty much straight through to Red Bluff, where I checked into the America’s Best Value Inn.  I walked down to the Thai House and had the Drunken Noodles for supper.  That and two Singhas cost me $22.79.

Tillie Creek Campground eBird checklist is Here

Alpaugh farm fields eBird checklist is Here





No comments:

Post a Comment