Sunday, July 28, 2019

June 21 - Oh, Shenandoah!

On this longest day of the year, I woke at 6:30 to a partly cloudy 68º morning.  It was blowing a pretty steady wind, so I took my time getting going, hoping that the breeze would lay down a bit.  Vain Hope!  After breakfast, I drove up to the south entrance to Shenandoah National Park, to take the Skyline Drive.  I stopped at the Turk Mountain trail to do a bit of birding and to stretch my legs.
The Turk Mountain Branch tail is not the main trail . . .
I started out down the wrong trail, as I misread the information on the trail marker.
Whorled Coreopsis, C. verticillata
Striped Wintergreen Chimaphila maculata
But, there were plenty of flowers - and at least one wood tick.  So, I dosed my legs with Deep Woods Off and returned to the correct trail, which wends through the oak forest to the top of the mountain.
A 'Ghost Map' for flatlanders to follow the trail . . .
The Turk Mountain trail is easy to moderate, and was quite pleasant with the wind keeping the temperature ameliorated.  Of course, the wind also kept the birds tucked into their cover, but I saw a few.
Eastern Wood Pewee Contopus virens
There were lots of other critters to excite my attention, including the “iron worm” millipede Narceus americanus.  These are lots larger than the millipedes Back West.  I read that they emerge in spring to mate, and then the female lays a single egg in a cup formed from regurgitated food.
Lizards and toads were fairly common all along the trail.
Eastern Fence Lizard Sceloporus undulatus
American Toad Anaxyrus americanaus (Used to be Bufo...)
From the top of the mountain, there were great views of the Shenandoah Valley.

I came back down from the mountain top, 'botanizing', since it was difficult to see birds.
Ghost Pipe Monotropa uniflora has no chlorophyll and parasitizes nearby tree roots
Continuing north along Skyline drive, I saw a few black bears and quite a few deer, all of which rapidly crossed the road without my getting any photos.  I stopped at a number of pullouts for the view, and in the vain hope that I’d hit a lull in the wind.
Indigo Buntings perch and sing even in the strong breeze . . .
At one of the stops, I saw an NPS truck parked, and on the rock was a person with a spotting scope.  Then, I noted the signs that this was a hack site for a Peregrine Falcon restoration project.

Sarah, an intern for the NPS, was monitoring the site, where they had provided food in the form of quail for 6 hacked young falcons.
Ah, to be 20-something again, and a seasonal NPS Intern . . .
While we watched, a flight of Turkey Vultures flew over and a couple dropped to the feeding site.

Sarah left to chase them off, but before she got there, one of the falcons stooped on the ‘buzzards’, who left the vicinity in short order.
I never could get the falcon(s) in the photo . . . but the vulture sure ducked when she stooped on it!
The Peregrine Restoration project has been going for 20 years, and the foster peregrine chicks used for this restoration program come from nests at coastal bridges in Virginia where juvenile peregrine survival has been low due to premature fledging over open water - their nests are often too close to water and there aren’t enough updrafts.

I finished the 105-mile Skyline Drive around 6 p.m., and pulled into the Super 8 in Front Royal.  After checking in, I went to supper at the Main Street Mill restaurant and ordered the scallops, which were OK, but kind of bland - and soft.  I’d seen that there was music at the gazebo in the town square, so went down to listen to it for a bit - 1970s soft rock.  I’d planned to walk over to the Front Royal Brewing Company for a pint to close down the evening, but passed by the Virginia Beer Museum.  I am so Glad I stopped here!!

This place is run by Dave Downes, who I recognized as a Traveling Man by his Widows Sons leathers across his Harley-Davidson.  His establishment is the only museum of a State’s beer, and has 18 beers on tap.  The museum represents the Heritage of Virginia beer, stretching from 1607 to the current craft beer renaissance, and a person can learn the story of Virginia's 400-year history with beer.  I really enjoyed sitting on the front porch with some of the locals, petting the dogs, and relishing a local brew!  If you're in Front Royal, don't miss this place!!
Silver-spotted Skipper Epargyreus clarus on Broadleaf Milkweed Asclepias syriaca
This has been an excellent Litha!

Turk Mountain branch trail eBird Checklist is Here
Turk Mountain trail uphill eBird Checklist is Here
Turk Mountain trail downhill eBird Checklist is Here
Shenandoah Natl. Park Franklin Cliffs eBird Checklist is Here
Shenandoah, I'm bound to leave you . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment