Wednesday, July 17, 2019

June 17-18 - Chimney Rock, North Carolina


Sister-In-Law Ellen was up at 4:30 this morning, so I rose as well, drank coffee, washed the linens, and saw her off to her work at the feed & tack store.  I breakfasted on a couple of fried eggs, then banged out a couple of Blog posts, did some laundry, packed and got on the road around 10:30 p.m.
Ellen's garden is full of flowers and butterflies
I drove up through Vass and Carthage, and past Asheboro to the freeway, then west toward Mocksville and Hickory.  Then I dropped south on State Highway 10 to see some of the countryside.  I’d pretty much zig-zagged across the State - there are no straight roads in North Carolina - making it to Lake Lure at about 3:30 p.m. and checking into the River Creek Campground, taking a couple nights in one of their ‘inexpensive’ cabins at $65/night.  Just a note if you stay here: Bring your own bedding; I used my sleeping bag.

I drove up to the Chimney Rock State Park to see what the situation was, and got some trail maps to plan for tomorrow.  On the way up toward the Ticket Booth, I saw a few birds near a seep spring alongside the road, and stopped - getting my binoculars on my Lifer Swainson’s Warbler!
Crappy photo, but a nice bird
There was also a pair of Hooded Warblers and a couple Cardinals at the spot.  Heck, I wouldn’t even have to stay here, but I will, as I am intrigued with the trails, fauna and flora of the park.

I came back down and stopped at the Hickory Nut Gorge Brewery for a celebratory pint, and found that they have food as well.  So, I paired a glass of their Bitter with a pulled pork sandwich, and washed it down with a pint of their cask ale.  Back at the cabin, I found that the internet connection was unlikely, so did not prep a Blog page, but the TV worked so I watched Michigan beat Florida State 2-0 in a College World Series game  and enjoyed the lightning and thunder storm.

The next morning, I again drove up to the park, which opens at 8:30 a.m., and paid the daily entrance fee of $13.  That seemed a little steep, but it would likely have been worse had the place remained a private operation.  In 1902, Dr. Lucius B. Morse purchased 64 acres at Chimney Rock Mountain, including the Chimney and cliffs, where he and his family owned and operated "Chimney Rock Park" as a privately managed park from 1902 to 2007.

Many small tracts purchased over the years expanded the Park to 996 acres.  In 2006 the land was put up for sale, and the State of North Carolina purchased it for the State Park the following year.  I found it interesting that the park has privatized many of the functions - ‘way beyond just having concessions; the LLC hires even the naturalists!  One of the naturalists, Mary Williams, was very helpful in letting me know about several of the rare plants growing on the cliff and seeps habitats.

I was the first ‘tourist’ admitted this morning, although there were a number of construction workers doing some repairs and improvements.
It was a little noisy for birding as I began my hike
I spent all day walking the trails on Chimney Rock State Park, beginning the day walking from the lower parking lot to the waterfall and back to the Gift shop.  It was cloudy/foggy, with a light south breeze, and warming from 65-72° F through the morning, and nearly to 80 degrees by afternoon.
There are some steep sections of trail in this park!
The trail here goes mainly through the deciduous woods, with few opportunities for views of the scenery.  But, not being able to “see far” allows a person to focus on things closer at hand, such as a leaf that is skeletonized by shredding insects.

The rhododendrons were blooming.
Rhododendron maximum

While I’m pretty good at birding back home in Olympia, I am unfamiliar with many of the bird songs in this part of the country, so it’s a bit frustrating to hear birds and not quite know what I’m listening to.  I really need to see most of these birds to be certain of what species they are.
Black-throated Green Warbler carrying food to her chicks


The ‘barks’ of the eastern gray squirrels kept attracting my attention, but that's OK - at least they are native here.

I arrived at the upper parking lot and took the trail to the upper falls.

The fog & clouds were burning off a little, but there was barely a breeze.

The muggy, 72° afternoon felt much warmer as I climbed... and climbed... and climbed.

I did stop to view the Devil’s Head rock formation, which was a bit eerie in the fog.
I’d been carefully avoiding the poison ivy along the trail, but after a bit it dawned on me that much of what I thought was  Toxicodendron radicans along the trail was an eastern shrub in the citrus family called Wafer Ash Ptelea trifoliata.  It sure looks like poison ivy, except for the samara seeds.
As the fog began to lift, there were some better views of the Broad River valley and surrounding hills,

and the butterflies and other insects came out in full force.
I've got Kenn Kaufman's butterfly guide . . . you'd think I'd look these up?
A millipede, not a butterfly . . .
I’d made it to the top at the upper falls overlook by mid-afternoon, and walked back down to the lower parking lot.
There was a clearer view of the Devil’s Head,

And, finally, a view of Chimney Rock itself!
From above . . .
I read the signage for the Gneiss Cave, which has been closed to the public after bats began roosting in the cavity.  Wildlife managers are concerned that humans can easily carry the fungus that causes White-Nose Syndrome from cave to cave, so keeping folks out of the cave may just help protect the bat population here.



I got back to town, and again ate dinner at the Brewpub.  The gal behind the counter had her 4-year-old Dean in the pub, and he was pretty energetic.  I let him clean up my table and "tipped" him with a $1 Canadian dollar coin that I had in my pocket.  There was another pretty good thunderstorm and rain this evening, but I slept well after packing to travel north tomorrow.

Southern Pines ‘morning coffee’ eBird Checklist is here
Chimney Rock State Park morning eBird Checklist is here
Chimney Rock State Park mid-day eBird Checklist is here
Chimney Rock State Park afternoon eBird Checklist is here

No comments:

Post a Comment