Sunday, January 6, 2019

January 4 - Gull Darn It!


At 11 a.m. I drove downtown to scope the mudflats at the Port of Olympia's North Point, and arrived in the midst of a Puget Sound 45° rain,
The Hooded Mergansers thought the weather was just Ducky . . .
which the birds were trying to snooze their way through.
When you're miserable, just keep your head tucked down like this heron
or, this miserable Double-crested Cormorant
I did see a Western Grebe near the Hearthfire Restaurant,
Western Grebe
which was my first for the year as was this White-crowned Sparrow on my way back to the car.
The yellow bill suggests this is the Puget Sound White-crowned Sparrow

Then I drove over to Mud Bay to scope the gulls, looking for an immature Glaucous Gull that had been seen there this week, but no luck.  I continued down to the Department of Natural Resources Preserve at the mouth of Kennedy Creek,

but it was high tide and little to be seen,
Kennedy Creek estuary
although there was a single Black-bellied Plover on the grassy island, which was new for me for the year.
I returned to Perry Creek to scope through the gull congregation there.  Although I couldn’t find the Glaucous Gull among the 600 or so gulls roosting there and scavenging on old chum salmon carcasses,
There were 600 gulls at the mouth of the Creek to sort through - I think this is an immature Glaucous-winged
I did find a single immature Thayer’s Iceland Gull in the flock (sorry, no photo).  The mergansers were feeding in amongst the gulls.
Drake Common Merganser
Hen Common Merganser getting the stink-eye from an Olympic Gull

I finished the day with another stop at Mud Bay and called it a day with 3 new species for the year, bringing my species count to 86.  I didn't find the Glaucous Gull, but it wasn't a bad day at all.
"Olympic Gull" - a hybrid Glaucous-winged X Western Gull
North Point eBird Checklist is Here
First Mud Bay eBird Checklist is Here
Kennedy Creek eBird Checklist is Here
Lower Perry Creek eBird Checklist is Here
Perry Creek mouth eBird Checklist is Here
Last Mud Bay eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment