Saturday, January 12, 2019

January 10 - North Point


I was downtown, so I went over to the Port of Olympia’s North Point parking lot
An Olympic Gull waited for me at the foot of the steps
and walked the path past the old KGY studio to the Hearthfire restaurant, scanning for birds.  My only ‘new bird’ for the year were some distant Pelagic Cormorants, bringing my year total to 106 species.

A Song Sparrow was feeding on the seeds of the American Dune Grass, but I didn't get a shot of the bird, just of the grass
American Dune Grass Leymus mollis
I did have the chance to sort through the gulls
Mew Gull
"Olympic" Gull - Glaucous-winged X Western Hybrid

Glaucous-winged Gull

finding this nice adult Western Gull.
Western Gull towering over the smaller Mew Gull
There was also a flock of Dunlin
Dunlin go everywhere in a hurry . . .

on the Cascade Pole Superfund site.
"Cleanup" of the Creosote-contaminated site has been merely capping it with clay . . .
As I was leaving, I saw a Glaucous-winged Gull that I’d seen in the area last week, seemingly unable to fly.  It looks somewhat “oiled”, and by the appearance of its plumage is certainly in poor physical shape.  I hope it makes it through the Winter.
"Oiled" Glaucous-winged Gull

North Point eBird Checklist is Here

No comments:

Post a Comment