Monday, September 30, 2019

July 25 - Theler Wetlands


It was a great morning, sunny and 53 degrees, when I drove north to Union and the Theler Wetlands.
John claims that he's just the "eBird Guy" and photographer
Every second and fourth Thursday, leaders Faye Hands and John Riegsecker of the Advanced Birding Club of Tahoma Audubon gather for a birding walk through this great estuary on the Union River in Belfair.  If you’re interested in the walk, show up at the Theler Center at 8 a.m.

The birders leave from the parking lot, walk down the trail past the Environmental Education Center buildings and out onto the estuary boardwalk, then back along the old dike past the recently-restored saltwater estuary, and up the Union River to the upper viewing platform, and returning past the Pacific Northwest Salmon Center facility.
Checking out the Cliff Swallow nests on the Salmon Center's barn
The walk is pretty easy, on a flat trail or boardwalk, and is a little over 3 miles in length.

The path past the Salmon Center provides a look at the llamas and alpacas in the pasture.  I keep hoping to see a Lesser Rhea among the herd, but I'll have to go to Chile to see one, I guess.


There are a lot of regulars that come for the walk, but they are very welcoming of birders of any skill level.  They welcomed me, after all . . .
Osprey hunting the mouth of the river
It’s always fun to be out with these folks.
Diane Yorgason-Quinn photographs the group on every walk.  This is her picture
After the bird walk, my route home takes me past Big Bubba's in Allyn, a "landmark" along Highway 3.  I usually indulge myself with a burger, fries and shake, and eat the lunch at the Port of Allyn docks.  I deserve it . . . 
Big Bubba's Burgers in Allyn
Theler Wetlands eBird Checklist is Here


No comments:

Post a Comment